Norway Watchdog Finds Shortcomings After Fatal Maersk Rig Accident
January 4, 2018
Petroleum Safety Authority Norway (PSA) said in a statement on Thursday:
* Denmark’s Maersk Drilling, a subsidiary of conglomerate A.P. Moller-Maersk, has been ordered to carry out a review of its systems and operations after a fatal accident on the Maersk Interceptor rig in December
* “Based on its preliminary investigation, the PSA has identified serious shortcomings in systems and processes for materials handling,” said the watchdog
* “Maersk Drilling Norge has accordingly been given notice of an order,” it added
* One person died following an accident on the Maersk-owned drilling rig at Aker BP’s Tambar oilfield off Norway on Dec. 7
* “The joint investigation team of Maersk Drilling and AkerBP is working to identify the circumstances surrounding the tragic incident,” said Jakob Korsgaard, managing director of Maersk Drilling Norway, in a separate statement.
* He said Maersk Drilling was fully supporting investigations by the Norwegian police and the PSA
* “We are determined to identify the root cause of the incident and we can confirm that we have received and will comply with the Notice of Order from PSA related to the incident,” Korsgaard said
On December 8th Maersk released the following;
Incident on Maersk Interceptor
PRESS RELEASE - Copenhagen, updated 8 December at 9.00 CET.
We regret to report that on 7 December 2017 12:10 local time, an accident occurred on Maersk Interceptor at the Tambar field in the Norwegian sector of the North Sea, involving two Maersk Drilling employees.
It is with great sadness that we can inform that one of the injured employees, a Norwegian citizen, has passed away. The family of the employee in question has been notified and we have set up crisis counselling for our employees and their families. The other injured person is receiving medical treatment and his condition is not critical.
This is a very difficult time for the family, our crew members and the organisation as a whole. We at Maersk Drilling would like to extend our deepest condolences, and we ask that the family’s privacy is respected in this difficult time.
We will make every effort possible to help the family and our crew.
We take this incident very seriously and Maersk Drilling and customer Aker BP are committed to clarifying all aspects of the incident. We kindly ask you to respect that we cannot comment on specific information and details while investigations are ongoing.